How to make Mochila Wayuu Bags aka Tapestry Crochet Bag, Mochila Bag, Wayuu Bag. This is not a definitive tutorial on how to make these bags. Just some different ways on how I do it.
What Stitches to Use for Mochila Wayuu Bags?
Please see Stitches for Mochila Wayuu Bags.
Note: strong, dense fabric is important because:
- it yields a strong, strudy bag which will not stretch and stretch with load and use
- the densitiy of the fabric mean that it is easier to hide stranding (unused) yarns when working with multiple colours
Work Sequence in Making Mochila Wayuu Bags
My sequence of work (summary) below. Each of these steps will be explained in a separate post.
- Make Bottom/Base
opt: Reinforced base
opt: Double layered (crocheted) bottom
opt: Hardware – feet for bottom
- Graph Pattern for Mochila Wayuu Bag
- Holes & Grommets for Drawstring
- Make Drawstring & Stop Bead
recommend: stopper beads
opt: drawstring slider
- Crochet and Attach Strong Shoulder Strap (Adjustable/Non-adjustable)
opt: add hardware (buckles, etc.)
- Lining for Bag
opt/recommended: inner pockets
opt: reinforced bottom (under lining)
Tip: Article “Cat & Fishes Bag” shows many details on making Mochila Wayuu bags that are also very useful.
Note: This article replaces Bags – Tapestry Crochet Bags – how to [SUPERSEDED] which became too complicated!