I introduced the strap single crochet (ssc) in an earlier post. However that was worked flat – to and fro; not circular. Today we will look at how to do the Circular Strap Single Crochet (cssc) or Strap Single Crochet in the Round.
When making amigurumi items or Wayuu bags, we almost always work in the round. So we need to modify this strap single crochet stitch so that we can use it for circular items.
Strap Single Crochet – in the Round
R1: just a normal row of single crochet (sc)
R2: You will notice there is a front loop at the bottom your previous row. Working only with front loops, pick up the bottom front loop and top front loop and finish a sc.
(Tip: remember to “hook under”x2 to get an untwisted “v”)
R3: the same as previous row, but working with 2 back loops
Repeat these 2 rows.
The instructions might be a bit confusing. But I think (hope) that when you actually do it, it will make more sense. Or if you already know how to do the strap single crochet, then working in the round with the same stitch, might be easier.
Applications for Strap Single Crochet Stitch
- This strap single crochet stitch produces a very dense fabric. So that makes it very suitable for making crochet Amigurumi.
- The vertical stitches are almost unslanted. So this would be good for Wayuu bags as well.
- Note that this stitch produces a significantly shorter row, viz. short rows.
Might have to double the number of rows compared to normal sc.
- it also yields a substantially thicker fabric
- The locations of increases (as in Amigurumi) are not visible.